Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Miranda Kerr's Supermodel Diet for Poor Non-Supermodels

Well, I promised a good portion of this blog will be about diet, so here goes. I'm actually really nervous to talk about this, because life in Korea as an overweight person isn't always fun. I'm not trying to scare away people who are considering moving here by saying you have to have a body like SNSD to be accepted. That's just not true! You can have a perfect and fulfilling life here no matter your size. However, I have struggled with my weight all my adult life and find myself more motivated than ever to finally lose it.

I know you probably can't tell from my head shots what size I am, but these days I'm a pretty solid 16 dress size. I'm around 173cm (5'8) and...I can't bring myself to say my exact weight. Let's just say it's too high for me. I promise to post pics as soon as I pluck up the courage!

This is not my body. Actually, I had no idea who Miranda Kerr was until I came to Korea and saw her Wonderbra ads all over the subway! Then I read more about her as I was researching beauty uses for coconut oil. She's pretty much my ultimate girl crush these days (aside from my fav Kpop divas).

When I first came to Korea two years ago, I weighed the most I ever had in my life. I dropped a little over 30lbs (about 14 kilos) really quickly just from switching to mostly Korean food. However, my weight has been constantly yo-yo-ing for the last year and a half and I want it to stop! I want to get down to my goal weight and develop a healthier lifestyle.

In order to motivate myself, I'll try to track my progress on this blog with a weight loss post every Wednesday. They probably won't be long--just to check in and talk about what worked and didn't work that week.

As one of my health role models is Miranda Kerr, I've been researching her diet and healthy living tips lately. Lots of the foods she suggests are pretty impractical for Korea (ingredients are rare and expensive), but I'll try to follow her general guidelines over the next few weeks. Some suggestions she makes I'll try are:


  • A glass of hot water with lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, and honey in the morning to jump start your metabolism and boost your immune system (already doing this and I love it).
  • Breakfast options 
    • Fresh fruit salad. I make frozen fruit smoothies instead for economy and convenience--fresh fruit is expensive here, yo!
    • Yogurt OR cooked breakfast with two eggs and rye toast. She suggests avocados with the toast, but they're (again) too expensive here.
    • OR old-fashioned oatmeal or muesli
    • Green tea (I put a touch of coconut oil in it per her suggestion!)
  • Morning snack
    • handful of almonds OR 2 crackers with tuna
  • Lunch options
    • Green salads with chicken or fish 
    • Lentil dish
    • Green tea or coffee
  • Afternoon snack
    • Almonds OR fruit
  • Dinner options
    • Fish, chicken, or (occasionally) red meat cooked with ginger and garlic
    • Fresh vegetables cooked (broccoli, green beans, snow peas, bok choy, spinach) OR green salad
    • roasted onion and garlic for serving
    • I cook dinner for my boyfriend once or twice a week, so I'll definitely keep trying Korean recipes too. I'll just make sure to use brown rice and limit my portions (he eats twice as much as me anyway...damned Asian guy metabolism >_<)
  • Eat a serving of dark chocolate and a serving of ice cream once a week to keep cravings down.
  • Try to replace your usual cooking oils with coconut oil or olive oil.
  • Drink lots of water--from 1.5 to 3 liters a day
  • Take a multivitamin
  • Eat for your blood type. I find this questionable, but it won't hurt to try! I'm type O, so I basically need more meat and veggies and less carbs and dairy. 


I'll try sticking to this for a week and report back with successes and failures! Next week I'll write about her suggested workout and what I can realistically do. This week I can't work out except for a bit of gentle yoga because I'm still recovering from bronchitis.

Have you tried any of these diet tips? What works for you? Have you experiences any anxiety about visiting Korea because of the intense standard of beauty here? Let me know in the comments and wish me luck!

Kisses,
Angela

P.S. I have to thank my lovely BF for being so supportive about my diet and still telling me I'm pretty every day. I know he could have chosen one of the countless thin girls in Seoul, but he chose me anyway! I love him so much! >ㅁ<

Ladies, don't let anyone tell you you have to lose weight to be happy or find a good man! Just let yourself be lovely and trust your own charm! That alone will attract people worth loving. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Let's talk!
영어, 한국어, 뭐든지 좋아요~~~^^